    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Ext3 vs Reiserfs benchmarks
    I compared reiserfs with notails and with tails to
    ext3 in journaled mode about a month ago.
    Strangely enough the machine that was being
    built is eventually slated for a mail machine. I used
    postmark to simulate the mail environment.

    Benchmarks are available here:

    Let me know if I am missing any info on there.

    Andreas Dilger wrote:

    >On Jul 12, 2002 10:21 -0600, Dax Kelson wrote:
    >>ext3 data=ordered
    >>ext3 data=writeback
    >>reiserfs notail
    >>Any suggestions or comments appreciated.
    >Did you try data=journal mode on ext3? For real-life workloads sync-IO
    >workloads like mail (e.g. not benchmarks where the system is 100% busy)
    >you can have considerable performance benefits from doing the sync IO
    >directly to the journal instead of partly to the journal and partly to
    >the rest of the filesystem.
    >The reason why "real life" is important here is because the data=journal
    >mode writes all the files to disk twice - once to the journal and again
    >to the filesystem, so you must have some "slack" in your disk bandwidth
    >in order to benefit from this increased throughput on the part of the
    >mail transport.
    >Cheers, Andreas
    >Andreas Dilger
    >the body of a message to
    >More majordomo info at
    >Please read the FAQ at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.024 / U:2.120 seconds]