SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Ext3 vs Reiserfs benchmarks
I compared reiserfs with notails and with tails to
ext3 in journaled mode about a month ago.
Strangely enough the machine that was being
built is eventually slated for a mail machine. I used
postmark to simulate the mail environment.

Benchmarks are available here:

Let me know if I am missing any info on there.

Andreas Dilger wrote:

>On Jul 12, 2002 10:21 -0600, Dax Kelson wrote:
>>ext3 data=ordered
>>ext3 data=writeback
>>reiserfs notail
>>Any suggestions or comments appreciated.
>Did you try data=journal mode on ext3? For real-life workloads sync-IO
>workloads like mail (e.g. not benchmarks where the system is 100% busy)
>you can have considerable performance benefits from doing the sync IO
>directly to the journal instead of partly to the journal and partly to
>the rest of the filesystem.
>The reason why "real life" is important here is because the data=journal
>mode writes all the files to disk twice - once to the journal and again
>to the filesystem, so you must have some "slack" in your disk bandwidth
>in order to benefit from this increased throughput on the part of the
>mail transport.
>Cheers, Andreas
>Andreas Dilger
>the body of a message to
>More majordomo info at
>Please read the FAQ at

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.153 / U:3.212 seconds]