    SubjectRe: ext2 'remount' problem
    On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Andreas Dilger wrote:
    [SNIPPED...]

    > output).
    >
    > On reboot the filesystem is not clean. Either the kernel is not
    > doing what it should to flush the dirty superblock to disk, or the disk
    > is lying about having written the superblock to disk. I would suspect
    > the latter on IDE drives, but SCSI drives are usually sane.
    >
    > Try adding a sync or two before rebooting, and also checking via
    > debugfs after reboot to ensure it is marked dirty when it shouldn't
    > be. You could even add some printk's to ext2_put_super() inside the
    > conditional where it marks the filesystem clean and syncs the super
    > to ensure that is being called.
    >
    > > # umount -a
    > > umount: /mnt: device is busy
    >
    > What about the above message?

    That's because I have a floppy (with typescript) mounted rw on
    /mnt and the file is still open (that's how these messages are
    recorded).

    > The fact that /dev/sda1 is your root fs could cause some strangeness also.
    >
    > It would appear to be that ext2_remount() is missing "sb->s_flags |=
    > MS_RDONLY" after the comment "set the rdonly flag and then mark the
    > partition as valid again". The other check for valid flags also appears
    > to be a bit suspect.

    I will look around a bit. This only happens when one remounts an
    already-mounted file-system, then dismounts it. Normally everything
    is clean. This is not something that would normally happen. Oh... I
    forgot... This is a SMP machine

    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 5
    model name : Pentium II (Deschutes)
    stepping : 1
    cpu MHz : 399.574
    cache size : 512 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
    bogomips : 797.90

    processor : 1
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 5
    model name : Pentium II (Deschutes)
    stepping : 1
    cpu MHz : 399.574
    cache size : 512 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
    bogomips : 797.90

    > Cheers, Andreas
    > --
    > Andreas Dilger
    > http://www-mddsp.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/adilger/
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2resize/

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson

    Windows-2000/Professional isn't.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.027 / U:0.920 seconds]