SubjectRe: HZ, preferably as small as possible
Hannu Savolainen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> IMHO the easiest solution is just making HZ selectable (100 or 1000 or
> maybe 1024) when configuring the kernel. Also there has to be a variable
> that exports the configured HZ value to modules. In that way users can
> select HZ depending on their needs.
>
> There are users who don't use power management. Instead they need higher
> HZ for various reasons. Kernels compiled with HZ=1000 have been used
> successfully since year 0 without any major problems. Making HZ
> configurable just makes life easier for such users.
>
> OTOH the higher wakeup rate during low power states can be cured by
> temporarily lowering the hw clock rate from 1000 to 100. The timer
> interrupt handler just increases jiffies by 10 (instead of 1). All code
> compiled with HZ=1000 still works but there may be latency problems during
> low power states.
>
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, george anzinger wrote:
>
> > "Grover, Andrew" wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd like to see HZ closer to 100 than 1000, for CPU power reasons. Processor
> > > power states like C3 may take 100 microseconds+ to enter/leave - time when
> > > both the CPU isn't doing any work, but still drawing power as if it was. We
> > > pop out of C3 whenever there is an interrupt, so reducing timer interrupts
> > > is good from a power standpoint by amortizing the transition penalty over a
> > > longer period of power savings.
> > >
> > > But on the other hand, increasing HZ has perf/latency benefits, yes? Have
> > > these been quantified? I'd either like to see a HZ that has balanced
> > > power/performance, or could we perhaps detect we are on a system that cares
> > > about power (aka a laptop) and tweak its value at runtime?
> >
> > HZ is used in a LOT of places. I suspect "tweaking" at run
> > time would be a bit difficult.
> This is not a problem at all. Just define HZ as:
>
> extern int system_hz;
> #define HZ system_hz
>
> After that all code will use variable HZ. Changing HZ on fly will be
> dangerous. However HZ can be made a boot time (LILO) parameter.

This is not really advisable. A good deal to of the timer
code depends on HZ being a constant so that calculations are
done at compile time. A lot of this code would be
measurably slower if these calculations were required at run
time. For example, often a divide is used with the
understanding that it will be done at compile time, not run
time.

-g