    SubjectRe: spinlock assertion macros
    On Thursday 11 July 2002 01:36, Jesse Barnes wrote:
    > On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 12:24:06AM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > > Acme, which is to replace all those above-the-function lock coverage
    > > comments with assert-like thingies:
    > >
    > > spin_assert(&pagemap_lru_lock);
    > >
    > > And everbody knows what that does: when compiled with no spinlock
    > > debugging it does nothing, but with spinlock debugging enabled, it oopses
    > > unless pagemap_lru_lock is held at that point in the code. The practical
    > > effect of this is that lots of 3 line comments get replaced with a
    > > one line assert that actually does something useful. That is, besides
    > > documenting the lock coverage, this thing will actually check to see if
    > > you're telling the truth, if you ask it to.
    > >
    > > Oh, and they will stay up to date much better than the comments do,
    > > because nobody needs to to be an ueber-hacker to turn on the option and
    > > post any resulting oopses to lkml.
    > Sounds like a great idea to me. Were you thinking of something along
    > the lines of what I have below or perhaps something more
    > sophisticated? I suppose it would be helpful to have the name of the
    > lock in addition to the file and line number...

    I was thinking of something as simple as:

    #define spin_assert_locked(LOCK) BUG_ON(!spin_is_locked(LOCK))

    but in truth I'd be happy regardless of the internal implementation. A note
    on names: Linus likes to shout the names of his BUG macros. I've never been
    one for shouting, but it's not my kernel, and anyway, I'm happy he now likes
    asserts. I bet he'd like it more spelled like this though:

    And, dare I say it, what I'd *really* like to happen when the thing triggers
    is to get dropped into kdb. Ah well, perhaps in a parallel universe...

    When one of these things triggers I do think you want everything to come to
    a screeching halt, since, to misquote Matrix, "you're already dead", and you
    don't want any one-per-year warnings to slip off into the gloomy depths of
    some forgotten log file.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.022 / U:37.984 seconds]