SubjectRe: Patch for Menuconfig script
On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 08:53:27AM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 08:14:12 -0700,
> Tom Rini <trini@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Does it also work in the case where the current shell is csh or tcsh
> >> (for example)?
> >
> >Er.. why wouldn't it?
> >$ head -1 scripts/Menuconfig
> >#! /bin/sh
>
> The #! line is irrelevant. The script is invoked via
>
> $(CONFIG_SHELL) scripts/Menuconfig arch/$(ARCH)/config.in
>
> Large chunks of kbuild assume that CONFIG_SHELL is bash. Don't bother
> trying to cleanup all the code that assumes bash, just
> make CONFIG_SHELL=/path/to/bash ...

As long as the new, bash-ignorant code is as good as the old one, and
works equally well with bash and hopefully better with other shells,
I see no harm, and a lot of benefit, in accepting the patch.

Yes, a lot of code assumes bash is there, but unlike the case of gcc,
there are good alternatives. Let us enable people who use
ksh/tcsh/rc/whatever as their main shell to remove the bash they keep
installed simply to be able to build their kernels.

For those who wonders: I use bash, nothing else. Still I think it is
silly to argue against this kind of patches because a lot of other
parts of the build-system/config-systems till depends on bash.

Getting rid of the bash:isms everywhere is far from impossible; look at
Debian, they are mostly there.

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.117 / U:0.036 seconds]