    SubjectRe: [STATUS 2.5] July 10, 2002
    Hi Alan,

    On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 07:38:23PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > While I understand the possible value, are printk translations
    > > really important enough to justify?
    >
    > Is it worth chsnging the kernel just for translations - probably not. If
    > it comes out as a convenient side effect - yes.

    I'd still say no. Kernel messages are meant not meant for end users but for
    kernel developers. The latter all speak english, but chances are that most
    of them won't understand japanese kernel messages. So they would need to
    be translated back before posted here.

    If you want translated kernel messages, use message IDs, that can be parsed
    and translated in userspace, if somebody really needs it.

    Regards,
    --
    Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> Eindhoven, NL
    GPG key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.021 / U:32.360 seconds]