    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Adeos nanokernel for Linux kernel
    On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 08:51:27AM -0500, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
    > > In the context of an mp3 playback system, worrying about whether the
    > > controls are realtime seems a little excessive.
    >
    > Perhaps you've never been a DJ..

    spot on. this is why i use a dsp card on my studio workstation; latency
    doesn't change (therefore no clicks/pops) when you move the mouse
    rapidly. it sticks right on whatever i set it to (13ms on my card, the
    newer ones can do around 1ms)

    can't say the same for vst (host cpu powered) instruments/effects.
    controller latency DOES matter.

    sadly all the host software for the card needs windows or macos. linux
    is MUCH better than windows in areas like this, after all the work Sir
    Morton has done to clean up latency. a thousand blessings upon his
    house :-)

    j.

    --
    toyota power: http://indigoid.net/