SubjectRe: Load kernel module automatically
Jan Hudec wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 03:47:16PM -0400, Michael Zhu wrote:
> > Hi, I've read the man page of modules.conf. But I
> > still couldn't figure out how to solve my problem. I
> > mean how to change the modules.conf file. Can I edit
> > this file directly? Can anyone give me an example?
>
> You say you read the page. ... Hey, wait a moment!
> There are TWO files. /etc/modules.conf, that defines how to load modules
> when they are requested (default parameters), which modules to load on
> kernel request (autoloading) etc. And then there is another file -
> /etc/modules, that is simply processed like
> for each line do modprobe <the line>
> during boot process.
>
> So depending on what kind of module you have. If it's a module for some
> device, you can make the alias in modules.conf and kernel will ask for
> it when it's needed. It also works for some special cases (like iptables
> - they don't even need an alias). For other things, especially network
> device drivers you need to load them from /etc/modules

That isn't the case. There is no /etc/modules file on any Linux box I've
ever used. My network driver modules are loaded automatically by the kernel's
internal module loader "kmod" because the are set up correctly in /etc/modules.conf.

"alias eth0 3c905"

ALL device driver modules can be set up to load automatacally by "kmod".

Mark

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.085 / U:0.120 seconds]