SubjectRe: If you want kbuild 2.5, tell Linus
phillips@bonn-fries.net (Daniel Phillips)  wrote on 03.06.02 in <E17Esc6-0000v9-00@starship>:

> Linus has already indicated his position, I guess you were busy writing
> the post so you didn't notice:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=102304528224527&w=2
>
> Plus you've got helpers, how could the situation be better?

I fail to see how this is supposed to work, and I guess so does Keith.

Kai (a different Kai!) does not seem to want to integrate the core part of
kbuild2.5. He seems to want to only pick the low-hanging fruits and make
unsupported (and unbelievable) noises about the rest.

And Linus seems to want to ignore the fact that the core portion of
kbuild2.5 is, by its very nature, not something that can be merged
"gradually" - just like ALSA, or a new architecture, can't meaningfully be
merged "gradually". (And he *also* said that he wasn't interested in
pseudo-gradually, i.e. getting the stuff in parts but still making a big
exchange.)

Frankly, I see *absolutely no way* how the current Kai-Linus "merge" can
possibly end with something even remotely like Keith's kbuild2.5. Unless
Linus changes his approach radically.

If I were Keith, I'd be rather upset, too.

MfG Kai

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.105 / U:0.692 seconds]