SubjectRe: [rfc] "laptop mode"
I agree that this level of abstraction is the kernel's job.  Deciding this
sort of thing is best left for a user level tool (or the user with 'echo').
A generic set of tunables in /proc/sys/ makes sense, but deciding the best
policy for a given set of parameters is a big problem and would be best
solved outside of the kernel.

This is definitely the sort of thing that can be pushed to the user and
should be.

} I'm not too sure this level of abstraction is needed by userspace.
} It would be enough if the appropriate things were all controlable
} in /proc/sys/ etc. and then you just have:
} /etc/sysctl.{laptop,server,desktop}.conf
} It would be better to have it explicit in userspace as you're
} always going to need to tweak things IMHO.
}
} Padraig.
}
} -
} To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
} the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
} More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
} Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.120 / U:0.400 seconds]