    SubjectRe: [patch 5/18] mark swapout pages PageWriteback()

    > > > In short the same way MAP_ANON must pageout correctly, also MAP_SHARED
    > > > must swapout correctly with very vm intensive conditions.
    > I strongly agree with Andrea on that. Swap fault without page lock
    > was a step forward, reinstating it in the light of observed degradation
    > in one workload was right decision for that particular tail of release,
    > but it's a shame to have stayed that way.
    > > That is true, but it is ignoring the fact that there _are_ real technical
    > > differences between swap cache mappings and regular shared mappings.
    > >
    > > One major difference is the approach to the last user: a last use of a
    > > shared mapping still needs to write out dirty state, while the last use of
    > > a swap page is better off noticing that it should just optimize away the
    > > write, and we can just turn the page back into a dirty anonymous page.
    > Poor example: isn't last use of swap page just like last use of
    > shared mapping of an _unlinked_ file?

    Eh? Suppose I have two different shared mappings of (unlinked:3). It
    may be last use of swap page in first mapping, but what prevents me
    from seeking and trying to read what I wrote?

    (about SSSCA) "I don't say this lightly. However, I really think that the U.S.
    no longer is classifiable as a democracy, but rather as a plutocracy." --hpa

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.026 / U:1.892 seconds]