SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Adeos nanokernel for Linux kernel
On Wednesday 05 June 2002 05:56, J Sloan wrote:
> Daniel Phillips wrote:
> >If I recall correctly, XFS makes an attempt to provide such realtime
> >guarantees, or at least the Solaris version does.
> >
> When did Solaris ever support xfs?
> > However, the operating
> >system must be able to provide true realtime guarantees in order for the
> >filesystem to provide them, and I doubt that the combination of XFS and
> >Solaris can do that.
> >
> no, but the combination of xfs and irix has
Heh, I can only protest that Oxymoron also missed that thinko..

> made a lot of folks happy - and xfs/linux is coming along nicely as
> well...

Improving the average latency of systems is a worthy goal, and there's
no denying that 'sorta realtime' has its place, however it's no substitute
for the real thing. A soft realtime system screws up only on occasion,
but - bugs excepted - a hard realtime system *never* does.