    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Adeos nanokernel for Linux kernel
    Date
    On Wednesday 05 June 2002 05:56, J Sloan wrote:
    > Daniel Phillips wrote:
    >
    > >If I recall correctly, XFS makes an attempt to provide such realtime
    > >guarantees, or at least the Solaris version does.
    > >
    > When did Solaris ever support xfs?
    >
    > > However, the operating
    > >system must be able to provide true realtime guarantees in order for the
    > >filesystem to provide them, and I doubt that the combination of XFS and
    > >Solaris can do that.
    > >
    > no, but the combination of xfs and irix has
    ^^^^
    Heh, I can only protest that Oxymoron also missed that thinko..

    > made a lot of folks happy - and xfs/linux is coming along nicely as
    > well...

    Improving the average latency of systems is a worthy goal, and there's
    no denying that 'sorta realtime' has its place, however it's no substitute
    for the real thing. A soft realtime system screws up only on occasion,
    but - bugs excepted - a hard realtime system *never* does.

    --
    Daniel