    SubjectRe: [rfc] "laptop mode"
    On Jun 04, 2002  15:54 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > laptop_writeback_centisecs
    > --------------------------
    > This tunable determines the maximum age of dirty data when the machine
    > is operating in Laptop mode. The default value is 30000 - five
    > minutes. This means that if applications are generating a small amount
    > of write traffic, the disk will spin up once per five minutes.

    Just FYI, this is probably an optimally bad choice for the default disk
    spinup interval, as many laptops spindown timers in the same ballpark.
    I would say 15-20 minutes or more, unless there is a huge amount of
    VM pressure or something. Otherwise, you will quickly have a dead
    laptop harddrive from the overly-frequent spinup/down cycles.

    Yes, minutae, I know. Otherwise a nice idea.

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.024 / U:6.664 seconds]