SubjectRe: Link order madness :-(
From
On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 02:43:14AM -0500, Kai Germaschewski wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Dan Aloni wrote:
>
> > > So, I was trying to fix that, and I found a problem with
> > > kernel link order.
> >
> > It is possible that recent kbuild changes caused that.
>
> I don't think so, I took extra care to leave it all the same. (Well,
> except for sound/, which is outside drivers/) It'd however surely be a
> good idea to go through it and document which dependencies there are.

Obviously Dan didn't bother to read my e-mail. The problem is
definitely not with kbuild. The problem is with the
__define_initcall() levels.

> W.r.t to the original problem I have to say I didn't really look into yet,
> but I think it makes e.g. a lot of sense to initialize networking earlier
> (subsys_initcall). We have initcall levels, using them right will help a
> lot. (The block subsystem is only __initcall a.k.a. driver_initcall as
> well, that's asking for problems at some point)

The problem is *not* the networking initialisation (I wish
people were *reading* my e-mails). The basic networking is initialised
early enough. The various networking stacks could be initialised
earlier, but I don't depend on them. Note that there might be a reason
to initialise networking after the file system, so to do that we might
need to insert a level between fs_initcall() and device_initcall().

The problem is with the initialisation of the random
generator. It needs to be done earlier.

> --Kai

Regards,

Jean

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.120 / U:0.220 seconds]