    SubjectRe: Link order madness :-(
    On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 02:43:14AM -0500, Kai Germaschewski wrote:
    > On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Dan Aloni wrote:
    > > > So, I was trying to fix that, and I found a problem with
    > > > kernel link order.
    > >
    > > It is possible that recent kbuild changes caused that.
    > I don't think so, I took extra care to leave it all the same. (Well,
    > except for sound/, which is outside drivers/) It'd however surely be a
    > good idea to go through it and document which dependencies there are.

    Obviously Dan didn't bother to read my e-mail. The problem is
    definitely not with kbuild. The problem is with the
    __define_initcall() levels.

    > W.r.t to the original problem I have to say I didn't really look into yet,
    > but I think it makes e.g. a lot of sense to initialize networking earlier
    > (subsys_initcall). We have initcall levels, using them right will help a
    > lot. (The block subsystem is only __initcall a.k.a. driver_initcall as
    > well, that's asking for problems at some point)

    The problem is *not* the networking initialisation (I wish
    people were *reading* my e-mails). The basic networking is initialised
    early enough. The various networking stacks could be initialised
    earlier, but I don't depend on them. Note that there might be a reason
    to initialise networking after the file system, so to do that we might
    need to insert a level between fs_initcall() and device_initcall().

    The problem is with the initialisation of the random
    generator. It needs to be done earlier.

    > --Kai

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.026 / U:1.128 seconds]