    SubjectRe: Link order madness :-(
    Jean Tourrilhes <> said:

    > The problem is *not* the networking initialisation (I wish
    > people were *reading* my e-mails). The basic networking is initialised
    > early enough. The various networking stacks could be initialised
    > earlier, but I don't depend on them. Note that there might be a reason
    > to initialise networking after the file system, so to do that we might
    > need to insert a level between fs_initcall() and device_initcall().

    If you insert enough levels, you are in another form of madness.

    There should be a way of saying "This must be initialized after this, and
    before that" (the "before that" might perhaps be taken care of by the
    "that" itself). Spiced with a few "barriers": "Networking inited", etc.
    >From there the build system should figure it out by itself. tsort(1) on an
    appropiate bunch of descriptive one-liners (extracted from the sources?)
    should give the right initialization order, or error out.

    Yes, I know this has been proposed before and been thrown out (for no good
    reason, AFAICS)
    Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.022 / U:2.380 seconds]