SubjectRe: Problems with wait queues
Richard,

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 10:17:45AM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> I am sure that you can have things look correct as well as run
> properly. However, you didn't show us the code.

It's quite large, and I didn't think I was "syntactically" wrong. But
the code is available, if somebody wants to have a look.

> You need to do something like:
>
> interruptible_sleep_on(&semaphore);
>
> while your wake-up occurs with:
>
> wake_up_interruptible(&semaphore);

That's what I do, although I use the wait_event_interruptible macro
instead of interruptible_sleep_on.

> Both ways (and others) will look fine with `top` and will sleep
> properly.

If we're talking about %CPU times, right. If we're talking loadavg,
no. As I said in my previous message, I think it's because my
wake_up_interruptible() is *always* triggered during the timer
interrupt, just before the scheduler runs (new data is available every
100th/sec).

I'm not sure, but I think that the loadavg is computed at the
beginning of each scheduler run, thus, my task always looks "running"
at this time, even though it just runs for a few microseconds each
time.

--
Nicolas Bougues