    SubjectRe: max_scsi_luns and 2.4.19-pre10.
    Hi Austin,

    enough guesses have been there not answering your questions ...

    On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 07:46:25PM -0500, Austin Gonyou wrote:
    > This originally was asking for help regarding QLA2200's, but I've since
    > discovered it's a kernel param problem that I'm not sure how to solve.
    > Using a default RH kernel (from SGI XFS installer) and passing
    > max_scsi_luns=128 in grub, and for scsi_mod, it seems to work.

    In 2.4.19pre1 a patch was merged into mainline which introduced a flag
    BLIST_LARGELUN and set it for EMC Symmetrix devices. Some distributors
    (incl. RH and SuSE) did ship kernels with this patch included.
    (An older patch for 2.4.16 exists as well.)

    The flag does allow a device to use more than 8 LUNs despite it reporting
    as SCSI Version 2 devices (which can not support more than 8 LUNs normally
    The flag also needs to be set for some more devices, look for DGC, DELL, CMD
    and CNSi/CNSI devices that already have the BLIST_SPARSELUN flag.

    But as you did not post the output of /proc/scsi/scsi nor the syslog
    meesages from your SCSI subsystem nobody knows what devices you're using or
    what actually happens. Just speculations ...

    PS: The better list for such questions is

    Kurt Garloff <> Eindhoven, NL
    GPG key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development
    SuSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, DE SCSI, Security
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.037 / U:6.884 seconds]