    SubjectRe: max_scsi_luns and 2.4.19-pre10.
    Hi Austin,

    enough guesses have been there not answering your questions ...

    On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 07:46:25PM -0500, Austin Gonyou wrote:
    > This originally was asking for help regarding QLA2200's, but I've since
    > discovered it's a kernel param problem that I'm not sure how to solve.
    >
    > Using a default RH kernel (from SGI XFS installer) and passing
    > max_scsi_luns=128 in grub, and for scsi_mod, it seems to work.

    In 2.4.19pre1 a patch was merged into mainline which introduced a flag
    BLIST_LARGELUN and set it for EMC Symmetrix devices. Some distributors
    (incl. RH and SuSE) did ship kernels with this patch included.
    http://van-dijk.net/linuxkernel/200206/0347.html
    (An older patch for 2.4.16 exists as well.)

    The flag does allow a device to use more than 8 LUNs despite it reporting
    as SCSI Version 2 devices (which can not support more than 8 LUNs normally
    ...)
    The flag also needs to be set for some more devices, look for DGC, DELL, CMD
    and CNSi/CNSI devices that already have the BLIST_SPARSELUN flag.

    But as you did not post the output of /proc/scsi/scsi nor the syslog
    meesages from your SCSI subsystem nobody knows what devices you're using or
    what actually happens. Just speculations ...

    PS: The better list for such questions is linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org

    Regards,
    --
    Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> Eindhoven, NL
    GPG key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.034 / U:123.752 seconds]