SubjectRE: another new version of pageattr caching conflict fix for 2.4
Date
I have to agree with Eric, that from an architectural perspective,
PAT was invented to address the coarse granularity of the MTRRs
in assigning memory cacheability types.

The power-of-2 sizes and alignments for MTRRs
make them clumsy for page-based
or region-based assignment.

Running out of MTRRs was a real porblem before PAT. MTRRS are best used
to set the "default" for all of memory and then use PAT
to override it on a page-by-page basis as needed.

Using MTRRdef for the actual Aperture is generally ok, because
it is mapped above the top-of-DRAM.

-Rich ...
[richard.brunner@amd.com -- ]
[Senior Member, Technical Staff, SW R&D @ AMD]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.049 / U:0.200 seconds]