SubjectRe: /proc/scsi/map

> Both usb-storage and iee1394-sbp2 know the GUID. It only needs to be
> communicated..
>
>The usb-storage GUID is just one random item of information.

Why is this 'one random item' ??
For usb-storage devices the GUID is built using Vendor ID & Device ID and
the device's Serial Nr.

For identification purposes, the serial number is useless without Vendor ID
& Device ID.
Ofcourse we'll never have a change of creating stable name for devices that
don't have a serialnr.

>One might wish for much more.
>
>And: this information is already somewhere:
Sure. But
a) not easily readable
b) totall different for FireWire devices
c) race-conditions (reading multiple files).

>% cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/2
> Host scsi2: usb-storage
> Vendor: DataFab Systems Inc.
> Product: USB CF+SM
>Serial Number: 5DC69477C6
> Protocol: Transparent SCSI
> Transport: Datafab Bulk-Only
> GUID: 07c4a1090000005dc69477c6
> Attached: Yes
Exactly, but finding this out at the moment involves reading:
/proc/scsi/scsi, scanning /proc/scsi/usb-storage-*, scanning
/proc/scsi/usb-storage-X/*, reading /proc/scsi/usb-storage-X/Y.

>% cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-1/3
> Host scsi3: usb-storage
> Vendor: SCM Microsystems Inc.
> Product: eUSB SmartMedia / CompactFlash
>Serial Number: None
> Protocol: Transparent SCSI
> Transport: Control/Bulk-EUSB/SDDR09
> GUID: 04e600050000000000000000
> Attached: Yes

Well that's just SCM, huh ? The newer SCM-Orca chipset has a S/N.

>Finally, the GUIDs you see here do not determine the LUN.
>So, there is no well-defined line in /proc/scsi/map
>where they would belong.

But the LUN-map for such a device will never change ?
Incase a device has 4 LUN's, well have 4 /proc/scsi/map entries with the
same GUID.

The hotplug agent will indeed be watching GUID+Lun.

- sda

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.087 / U:0.072 seconds]