    SubjectRe: 2.5.20 - Xircom PCI Cardbus doesn't work
    Kai Germaschewski wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >

    >>I suspect that forcing resource assignment into "pci_enable_device()"
    >>should fix that too.
    >>
    >>Although there should probably be some way for the driver to tell which
    >>resources it cares about (some drivers care about the PCI ROM's, for
    >>example, others don't. Some drivers don't care about the IO region, and
    >>others don't care about the MEM region). So the _right_ answer might be to
    >>pass in a bitmap to "pci_enable_device()", which tells the enable code
    >>which parts the driver really cares about..
    >

    > That reminds me of some idea I had been thinking about for some time:
    >
    > What about adding some pci_request_irq() and pci_request_{,mem_}_region,
    > which would allow for some cleanup of ever-recurring code sequences in
    > drivers, and which at the same time would allow for the above?
    > pci_request_mem_region() might even include the ioremap() as well ;)

    We already have pci_request_regions() and currently PCI drivers should
    use that.

    Auto-ioremap would be bad, though... you would wind up wasting address
    space for any case where MMIO areas are not 100% utilized (like network
    cards that require use of PIO due to hardware bugs, but still export an
    MMIO region for their NIC registers)

    Jeff