    SubjectRe: 2.5.20 - Xircom PCI Cardbus doesn't work
    On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > I suspect that forcing resource assignment into "pci_enable_device()"
    > should fix that too.
    >
    > Although there should probably be some way for the driver to tell which
    > resources it cares about (some drivers care about the PCI ROM's, for
    > example, others don't. Some drivers don't care about the IO region, and
    > others don't care about the MEM region). So the _right_ answer might be to
    > pass in a bitmap to "pci_enable_device()", which tells the enable code
    > which parts the driver really cares about..

    That reminds me of some idea I had been thinking about for some time:

    What about adding some pci_request_irq() and pci_request_{,mem_}_region,
    which would allow for some cleanup of ever-recurring code sequences in
    drivers, and which at the same time would allow for the above?
    pci_request_mem_region() might even include the ioremap() as well ;)

    And yeah, eventually, that might be better done at 'struct device' level,
    but that doesn't make a difference to the conceptual idea.

    --Kai

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.037 / U:59.624 seconds]