    SubjectRe: 2.5.20 - Xircom PCI Cardbus doesn't work
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Kai Germaschewski wrote:
    >>What about adding some pci_request_irq() and pci_request_{,mem_}_region,
    >>which would allow for some cleanup of ever-recurring code sequences in
    >>drivers, and which at the same time would allow for the above?
    >>pci_request_mem_region() might even include the ioremap() as well ;)
    > That might be the right solution - leave "pci_enable_dev()" as-is, and
    > just consider that the legacy way of "enable stuff that got allocated
    > automatically".
    > And make new drivers start using "pci_request_irq()" and friends.
    > (The current "pci_enable_dev()" is broken in many respects: sometimes you
    > do NOT want to enable the IRQ until you have set up the device, but in
    > order to set up the device you may need to know _which_ irq it will have,
    > and you need to enable access to memory and IO regions and map the
    > device).

    Can someone clarify for me the need of pci_request_irq??

    pci_enable_device() assigns the IRQ in routing, but it is not enabled
    until you call request_irq. I don't see any simplification that can be
    done in the PCI API.

    The only thing I've wanted is a cross-platform way to detect if
    pdev->irq returned by pci_enable_device is valid.