    SubjectRe: RFC: per-socket statistics on received/dropped packets
    At 08:11 AM 12/06/2002 -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
    >General dislike for adding features of _extremely_ limited (debugging!) use?

    i would imagine that every installation of Squid on linux is interested in
    having _realistic transaction logs_ of exactly how much data was received
    and transmitted on a TCP connection.

    i know of many many folk who use transaction logs from HTTP caches for
    volume-based billing.
    right now, those bills are anywhere between 10% to 25% incorrect.

    you call that "extremely limited"?

    of course, i am doing exactly what Dave said to do -- maintaining my own
    out-of-kernel patch -- but its a pain, i'm sure it will soon conflict with
    stuff and is a damn shame - it isn't much code, but Dave seems pretty
    steadfast that he isn't interested.

    damn shame that. i think the information is on par with
    getsockopt(..,TCP_INFO,..) in terms of usefulness yet TCP_INFO is there in
    the kernel.

    cheers,

    lincoln.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.023 / U:31.000 seconds]