    SubjectRe: linux 2.4.19-preX IDE bugs
    On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Nick Evgeniev wrote:

    > I don't want to make experiments in production environment anymore...
    > And it's unfair to the rest of Linux users to keep broken drivers in
    > stable kernel... Because nobody expects that stable kernel will rip
    > your fs _daily_.

    I remember when SMP started, if used with certain filesystem types it
    would regularly eat the f/s data. The argument was made that it should be
    commented out of the config file, so you really had to work at getting it
    turned on. In spite of that a number of (from memory early 2.2) kernels
    had the defect and led to people thinking that Linux was unreliable in
    general.

    I agree that if it has known problems which destroy data it should be
    unavailable in the stable kernel. It certainly sounds as if that's the
    case, and the driver could be held out until 2.4.20 or so when it can be
    fixed, or if it can't be fixed it can just go away.

    A stable kernel release should be, well... stable. Give the enemies of
    Linux no ammunition, they make up enough crap as it is.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc