    SubjectRe: PCI DMA to small buffers on cache-incoherent arch

    Paul> This is the problem scenario. Suppose we are doing DMA to a
    Paul> buffer B and also independently accessing a variable X which
    Paul> is not part of B. Suppose that X and the beginning of B are
    Paul> both in cache line C.

    David> I see what the problem is. Hmmm...

    David> I'm trying to specify this such that knowledge of
    David> cachelines and whatnot don't escape the arch specific code,
    David> ho hum... Looks like that isn't possible.

    So is the consensus now that in general drivers should make sure any
    buffers passed to pci_map/unmap are aligned to SMP_CACHE_BYTES (and a
    multiple of SMP_CACHE_BYTES in size)? In other words if a driver uses
    an unaligned buffer it should be fixed unless we can prove (and
    document in a comment :) that it won't cause problems on an arch
    without cache coherency and with a writeback cache.

    Thanks,
    Roland

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.036 / U:214.880 seconds]