SubjectRe: RFC: per-socket statistics on received/dropped packets

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, David S. Miller wrote:

> From: Lincoln Dale <ltd@cisco.com>
> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:03:25 +1000
>
> would you be willing to accept a patch that enables per-socket
> accounting with a CONFIG_ option?
>
> What is the point?
>
> If all the dists will enable it then everybody eats the overhead.
> If the dists don't enable it, how useful is it and what's so wrong
> with it being an external patch people just apply when they need to
> diagnose something like this?

I think i would agree with Dave for it to be an external patch. You
really only need this during debugging. I had a similar patch when
debugging NAPI about a year ago. I didnt find it that useful after
a while because i could deduce the losses from SNMP/netstat output.

cheers,
jamal

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.116 / U:0.212 seconds]