    SubjectRe: Problems with 2.5.14 PCI reorg and non-PCI architectures
    On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 09:00:28AM -0400, James Bottomley wrote:
    > said:
    > > arch/i386/pci/dma.c now only contains pci_alloc_consistent() and
    > > pci_free_consistent(). What kind of configuration are you using that
    > > works without CONFIG_PCI and yet calls those functions? Is it a
    > > ISA_PNP type configuration? Do you have a .config that this fails on?
    > The problem is that this is not necessarily PCI related on other platforms.
    > My cross platform SCSI driver, 53c700.c, uses pci_alloc_consistent because it
    > has to work on parisc archs as well (which do have consistent memory even
    > though a few of them don't have PCI busses). It was failing a test compile.
    > I can manipulate the #ifdefs so that it doesn't use the consistent allocation
    > functions on x86, but I think, in principle, cross platform drivers should be
    > able to use these functions.

    But parisc has it's own implementation of pci_alloc_consistent(), so
    you're ok on that platform. And it looks like only 2 scsi drivers use
    the 53c700.c code, lasi700.c and NCR_D700.c. The NCR driver looks to
    need pci, and the lasi700 driver doesn't look like it will even compile
    on i386.

    No wait, the NCR driver needs Microchannel, is that true?

    I would like to push back and ask why you are calling a pci_* function
    from a driver that does not need pci. Yes, I know it's a nice, generic
    function, but that hasn't stopped people from rewriting that same
    function a number of times in different forms in different places in the
    tree :)

    In a perfect world, we should probably create a function like:
    void *alloc_consistent (int flags, size_t size, dma_addr_t *dma_handle);
    to solve everyone's needs, but I'm not volunteering to do that :)

    I'll go move the file and send the changeset to Linus.

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.030 / U:2.296 seconds]