    From: "Petr Vandrovec" <VANDROVE@vc.cvut.cz>
    To: linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org
    Subject: NLS mappings for iso-8859-* encodings

    Hi,
    today it was pointed to me (see Debian bugreport #145654,
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=145654) that
    all nls_iso8859-* mappings available in kernel refuse to map
    characters in range 0x80-0x9F to anything reasonable.

    This behavior means, that with NLS default set to any of
    iso8859-* encoding (including default iso-8859-1) filesystems
    which contain data in cp850/852/437 codepages will have bad
    problems, as majority of accented characters live in 0x80-0x9F
    range in these codepages.

    And worse is that old 2.2.x kernels defaulted to 1:1 mapping,
    so people were used to see wrong accented characters, but all filenames.
    Now they see nothing :-(

    Is there any reason why 0x80-0x9F range is not mapped identically
    to 0x80-0x9F unicode range? I believe that unicode is even defined
    as having first 256 characters identical to iso8859-1.
    Thanks,
    Petr Vandrovec
    vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

    ----- End forwarded message -----

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:6.380 / U:0.012 seconds]