    Subject_reliable_ way to get the dev for a mount point?

    Hi all!

    I found that in a chrooted environment the /proc/mounts file is
    messed up badly. For example, if I do a
    chroot /path/to/somewhere
    then in the chrooted environment's proc/mounts file will truncate
    the /path/to/somewhere string from those mount point it can, and leaves
    the rest as they are. (something like s|/path/to/somewhere|| )
    Consequently you will have at least two devices showns as mounted to /.
    But it can get worse (i know its extreme), if the directory of the
    chrooted environment is overmounted.

    For example, here's an output from inside the chroot environment:
    # cat /proc/mounts
    rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
    /dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
    none /dev devfs rw 0 0
    none /proc proc rw 0 0
    none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
    none /root/chroot1/proc proc rw 0 0
    /dev/cdrom / iso9660 ro 0 0
    none /proc proc rw 0 0
    /dev/hda2 / ext3 rw 0 0

    As you can see, there are 3 devices shown as mounted to / (in reality,
    only 2 in the chrooted env), and you cannot know from this which of these
    3 is your real rootdir.

    So, my question is there a way to get back the device for a directory,
    _reliably_. (I want to know which devices holds the files my process sees
    under an arbitrary /path/to/somewhere).

    Balazs Pozsar

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.020 / U:7.304 seconds]