    SubjectRe: Linux-2.5.14..
    Daniel Pittman wrote:
    > On Sun, 5 May 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > There's a lot of stuff that has happened in the 2.5.x series lately,
    > > and you can see the gory details in the ChangeLog files that accompany
    > > releases these days, but I thought I'd point out 2.5.14, since it has
    > > some interesting fundamental changes to how dirty state is maintained
    > > in the VM.
    > >
    > > (The big changes were actually in 2.5.12, but 2.5.13 contained various
    > > minor fixes and tweaks, and 2.5.14 contains a number of fixes
    > > especially wrt truncate, so hopefully it's fairly _stable_ as of
    > > 2.5.14.)
    > >From the look of the changelog at least a few of the file corruption
    > bugs with ext3, 2k block file systems and 2.5 have been fixed. Should I
    > expect this release to address the problems I was seeing?

    I don't have an explanation for the ext3 problem which you saw.
    It's conceivable that 2.5.13 was leaving dirty buffers around after
    they were "deleted", and that fsync grabbed them via the i_dirty_buffers
    back door, and wrote them where they shouldn't have been written.

    But they wouldn't have been mapped anywhere...

    So I still need to try to reproduce that one. If you could have
    another shot, it would be appreciated. But if it _does_ work OK,
    I can't say it's fixed until I know what caused the 2.4.13 failure.

    ext3 is very sensitive to what is going on in buffer.c. There's
    a lot of tension in there between the desire to share code and
    the desire to not be damaged by changes in the code which we share.

    Generally, ext3 with data=journal is not happy at present.

    Partly because it contains assertions of things which aren't true
    any more.

    Partly because of a known problem in ext3: assertion failure at
    transaction.c:606. Stephen has a fix for this which we need to
    wiggle into 2.4. For some reason, the 2.5 changes are triggering
    it much more easily.

    I'll spend a few hours this week trying to resurrect data=journal,
    but if that doesn't work out I think I'll just turn it off for the
    while, make it emit a warning and use data=ordered.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.097 / U:45.528 seconds]