    SubjectRe: Processes stuck in D state with autofs + smbfs
    Date
    On 30 May 2002 10:36, Urban Widmark wrote:
    > > I also have this in my kernel log:
    > > May 26 06:33:16 fileserver kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received. Dazed and
    > > confused, but trying to continue May 26 06:33:16 fileserver kernel: You
    > > probably have a hardware problem with your RAM chips
    >
    > However, this error could (but I don't really know what the effects are of
    > this) potentially stop a process at some random point. If a process
    > crashes, for example an oops, while holding the semaphore that semaphore
    > will still be held and everyone trying to get in will stop in D state.

    AFAIK this message says CPU got a spurious NMI. It does not kill the task,
    kernel logs this message and returns from NMI interrupt handler.

    What does cat /proc/interrupts tell you?

    NMI may be truly spurious or a hardware failure indication. Give your box
    an overnight run of memtest86.
    --
    vda