    SubjectRe: KBuild 2.5 Impressions
    On Friday 31 May 2002 03:20, Skip Ford wrote:
    > Daniel Phillips wrote:

    > > > Maybe I'm the idiot here but what dose this gain you??
    > > >
    > > > The reason to break up a patch is not simply to get more of them. There
    > > > is no point in splitting if you still need to use every single one of
    > > > them to make anything work.
    > >
    > > See above. It's all about analyzing the structure of the patch. To be
    > > fair though, it took me less than an hour to get a pretty good idea of
    > > how the current patch set is structured.
    > I could be wrong but I think Linus wants small patches that slowly
    > convert kbuild24 to kbuild25, and not just a chopped up wholesale
    > kbuild25.

    I hope you're wrong, because that does not sound reasonable. On the other
    hand, the two build systems coexist quite happily in the same tree. You
    have to explicitly do the -f Makefile-2.5 for the new build system to kick
    in. So nobody is being asked to make any sudden change, people can convert
    at their own convenience.

    > There's a big difference between splitting kb25 into pieces and figuring
    > out a way to migrate from kb24 to kb25 with small patches. You're
    > suggesting the former while Linus wants the latter.

    If that's really a correct interpretation, it would be weird. I hope it

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.023 / U:9.524 seconds]