SubjectRe: kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel
Hi Keith-

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Keith Owens wrote:

[snipped]

| Linus, kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the main 2.5 kernel tree.
| It is faster, better documented, easier to write build rules in, has
| better install facilities, allows separate source and object trees, can
| do concurrent builds from the same source tree and is significantly
| more accurate than the existing kernel build system.

I kinda like to do 'make bzImage' without making modules also.
Would that be difficult to do in kbuild 2.5?
Oh, but then I would also (still) need 'make modules'...

| Before I send you the kbuild 2.5 patch, how do you want to handle it?
|
| * Coexist with the existing kernel build for one or two releases or
| delete the old build system when kbuild 2.5 goes in?
|
| Coexistence for a few days gives a backout, just in case. It also
| gives a kernel release where the old and new code can be compared,
| useful for architectures that have not been converted yet.

So is there a downside to the coexisting method?
If not, let's do it. (One reason: see below.)

| I would like kbuild 2.5 to go in in the near future. Keeping up to
| date with kernel changes is a significant effort, Makefiles change all
| the time, especially when major subsystems like sound and usb are
| reorganised. There are also some changes to architecture code to do it
| right under kbuild 2.5 and tracking those against kernel changes can be
| painful.

For sure.

Any ideas about this error? user error??

$ make oldconfig menuconfig

... and then

[rddunlap@midway linux-2513-pv]$ make -f Makefile-2.5
spec value %p not found
Using ARCH='i386' AS='as' LD='ld' CC='/usr/bin/gcc' CPP='/usr/bin/gcc
-E' AR='ar' HOSTAS='as' HOSTLD='gcc' HOSTCC='gcc' HOSTAR='ar'
Generating global Makefile
phase 1 (find all inputs)
Error: The CML input files have changed since .config was created.
Always make one of xconfig menuconfig oldconfig defconfig
config randconfig allyes allno allmod after changing CML files
make: *** [/usr/linsrc/linux-2513-pv/.config] Error 1
[rddunlap@midway linux-2513-pv]$

I removed all .tmp* files & dir., reran 'make oldconfig menuconfig',
and got the same results.

--
~Randy