    SubjectRe: Bug: Discontigmem virt_to_page() [Alpha,ARM,Mips64?]
    > Have you done testing with 64GB? What sort of failure modes are you
    > seeing with it? I've been hearing about more severe failure modes in
    > practice on 32GB, Martin, could you comment on this?

    I've never gone above 32Gb (yet ;-)). We don't have an SMP platform
    that I know of that'll support 64Gb, only the NUMA platforms.

    32Gb will boot and work with 1GB KVA, but if you actually want to
    use the memory for something, a 2GB KVA seems imperative. It depends
    on the workload you're using, but the things we tend to see are:

    1. struct page.
    2. buffer heads (will look at -aa tree)
    3. user page tables (need highpte)
    4. LDTs for threads filling the vmalloc space (seems to be fixed in 2.5)

    I think the whole struct page issue needs some (complex, hard) work,
    but in general, we're getting there. Fast ;-)

    PS. BTW, Andrea, your latest highpte looks like you obliterated the
    kmap problem I was complaing of, but I've been having massive problems
    with other things which are blocking much of the real testing ...
    sorry about the time lag ;-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.022 / U:44.224 seconds]