    SubjectRe: 2.4.18 orinoco.c __orinoco_ev_rx question
    Hi David,
    On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 01:28:22PM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
    > No it doesn't have to be done in the interrupt handler, it could be
    > done in a bottom half. However essentially every other network driver
    > does all the Rx work (up to netif_rx()) in the hard irq, so I'm
    > disinclined to do it otherwise.
    well, you have a point here.
    However, my observation shows that this blocks interrupts for quite a
    long time (800us, compared to the 700us which i remember being shouted
    at in another discussion some days ago), which is quite a lot. (IMHO)
    Furthermore, airo.c either has a faster way of doing so or the Cisco
    PCM-352 are faster by themselves. (Did not look into airo.c as close
    as orinoco.c...)

    It was just a question if it could be done.

    I would like to try it, so another question (the rxfid stuff...):

    Could I leave just getting the rxfid (rxfid = hermes_read_regn(hw, RXFID);)
    in the interrupt handler and let the bottom half process something like
    a list of FIDs filled by the interrupt handler, or is there any caveat
    in doing so? Would it be better (if at all possible) to leave reading
    in the head in the interrupt handler, such that the status could be
    evaluated and do just the copying of data (which i suspect to be the most
    time-consuming) from the bottom half?

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.026 / U:91.016 seconds]