    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.19-pre9, still USB freeze
    Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 May 2002 15:55:52 +0200
    > Peter Wächtler <> wrote:
    >>Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
    >>>as noted for pre8, pre9 freezes still, when connecting a sandisk SDDR-05 to
    >>>USB(only device attached), and trying to mount some compact-flash. Or, as
    >>>an alternative test, even with no compact flash inserted, when starting up
    >>>xcdroast. Both completely freezes the machine.
    >>>pre6 was ok.
    >>Is that on a SMP machine?
    > Yes, this is SMP (Asus CUV4X-D, via chipset), dual PIII.
    >>I think usb-storage is not completely SMP safe.
    >>I had occasional lockups on SMP - since I connected the readers to UP
    >>I had no single lockup. At work I do write a lot of compactflashes.
    > Interestingly everything works well with pre6, whereas pre8 and pre9 _always_
    > freeze.

    I let my SMP box run overnight. WHEN there was a crash when writing CF
    (perhaps every 2 weeks or so), THEN I got sometimes BIG problems with
    writing even after a reboot - locked up again immediatly.
    IIRC my workaround was to remove the modules and load them again
    before using them. Yes, sounds weird.
    I tried to analyse the problem but gave up. I used usb-uhci on 2.4.9
    to 2.4.18-SuSE

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.026 / U:12.232 seconds]