    SubjectRe: business models [was patent stuff]
    On Tue, 2002-05-28 at 09:57, Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > On Tuesday 28 May 2002 09:53, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:
    > > And BTW I'm OK with patents as long as their licensed for free to GPLed
    > > software (maybe add a clause that makes this irreversable?).
    >
    > Indeed, an irreversible license is essential, but that's not all. Not
    > only must the GPL be accommodated, but all open source licenses. And it
    > is not enough to be free as in "without cost": it must also be free of
    > additional restrictions.

    I don't think you can realistically expect all open source licenses like
    the BSD one to be accomodated. Otherwise people would ship binary apps
    linked with a BSD licensed libpatent.o/c that was useless to anyone. The
    GPL restrictions happen to work very nicely in terms of making a patent
    available for free software (or one definition thereof), the BSD license
    alas doesn't.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.027 / U:30.808 seconds]