    SubjectRe: isofs unhide option: troubles with Wine
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: Ruth Ivimey-Cook <>
    In newsgroup:
    > AFAIK, Windows "hidden" files are supposed to behave much like Unix 'dot'
    > files (.login, etc), so IMO the kernel should not use the hidden bit at all.
    > Instead, it should be 'ls' et al that do this. Now, I guess this isn't
    > particularly practical without changing fileutils and many other things, so I
    > would suggest that the kernel is changed to pass on, if possible, but
    > basically ignore the 'hidden' bit.

    There really should be some kind of ioctl() or other syscall to
    get/set the filesystem-specific attributes in cases like FAT (hidden,
    system, archive) and ISO9660. Trying to graft their meaning onto the
    Unix system just doesn't make sense.

    <> at work, <> in private!
    "Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot." <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.021 / U:3.092 seconds]