    SubjectRe: isofs unhide option: troubles with Wine
    Date
    Followup to:  <Pine.LNX.4.44.0205251513280.10327-100000@sharra.ivimey.org>
    By author: Ruth Ivimey-Cook <Ruth.Ivimey-Cook@ivimey.org>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > AFAIK, Windows "hidden" files are supposed to behave much like Unix 'dot'
    > files (.login, etc), so IMO the kernel should not use the hidden bit at all.
    > Instead, it should be 'ls' et al that do this. Now, I guess this isn't
    > particularly practical without changing fileutils and many other things, so I
    > would suggest that the kernel is changed to pass on, if possible, but
    > basically ignore the 'hidden' bit.

    There really should be some kind of ioctl() or other syscall to
    get/set the filesystem-specific attributes in cases like FAT (hidden,
    system, archive) and ISO9660. Trying to graft their meaning onto the
    Unix system just doesn't make sense.

    -hpa
    http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <amsp@zytor.com>