SubjectRe: isofs unhide option: troubles with Wine
Followup to:  <>
By author: Ruth Ivimey-Cook <>
In newsgroup:
> AFAIK, Windows "hidden" files are supposed to behave much like Unix 'dot'
> files (.login, etc), so IMO the kernel should not use the hidden bit at all.
> Instead, it should be 'ls' et al that do this. Now, I guess this isn't
> particularly practical without changing fileutils and many other things, so I
> would suggest that the kernel is changed to pass on, if possible, but
> basically ignore the 'hidden' bit.

There really should be some kind of ioctl() or other syscall to
get/set the filesystem-specific attributes in cases like FAT (hidden,
system, archive) and ISO9660. Trying to graft their meaning onto the
Unix system just doesn't make sense.

<> at work, <> in private!
"Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot." <>