    SubjectRe: [Linux-usb-users] Re: What to do with all of the USB UHCI drivers
    Peter Wächtler wrote:

    > Martin Dalecki wrote:
    > > Uz.ytkownik Greg KH napisa?:
    > >
    > >> Anyway, here's the documentation that you need:
    > >> The module usb-ohci is now gone. Use ohci-hcd instead.
    > >>
    > >> The people with UHCI controllers have a big more documentation to read:
    > >> The module uhci is now gone. If you used this module, use
    > >> uhci-hcd instead. The module usb-uhci is now gone. If you used
    > >> this module, use usb-uhci-hcd instead. If you have a preference
    > >> over which UHCI module works better for you, please email
    > >> greg@kroah.com your comments, as one of these modules will be
    > >> going away in the near future.
    > >

    > > Thank's that is explaining it.
    > > But I would have loved it if it appeared with + in front in
    > > the patch somewhere. That's the only true problem I had.
    > > OK?
    > >
    > > BTW.> usb-ohci seems to be a more reasonable name, since
    > > it tells me directly - hey buddy I'm USB the -hcd doen't
    > > tell me anything in addition and is entierly redundant, or
    > > is there a ohci.o module there?
    > >
    > > And why not just doing the following.
    > >
    > > 1. Rename usb-ohci to usb-ohci-old
    > >
    > > 2. Rename ohci-hcd to usb-ohci
    > >
    > > Much less grief and guessing what happens :-).

    Second this (in fact "first this").
    Elegant solution which would not only habe prevented this thread
    but help developers and users no end.

    > > Just a suggestion.
    > >

    > You do not understand the _cause_ for the rename.

    Martin and me understand what hcd means, and we think
    it is non-untuitive and user-hostile.

    > hcd stands for Host Controller Device. The names mark them as that.
    > Now you can argue, that all the SCSI controller modules do not have
    > HBC (host bus controller) in their name - and then look at the
    > different naming of the other scsi modules:
    >
    > scsi_mod.o sd_mod.o sg.o sr_mod.o st.o
    >
    > Also not very intuitiv. We could put them in different subdirs...

    Obviously you cannot balance between intuitive and user-friendly.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.026 / U:31.492 seconds]