    SubjectRe: Quota patches
    On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 05:12:05PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > Of course you can. Even the latest OpenLinux release (shipping 2.4.13-ac)
    > > > uses a libc4/a.out based installer fo space reasons. Not to forget the
    > > > old quake1 binary from some redhat 4.x CD I run from time to time :)
    > >
    > > OK thanks for the *substantial* answer. That was the reason I was asking about.
    > > Somehow this is of course surprising me of course.
    >
    > So why didn't you -test- the theory before suggesting it. It btw goes beyond
    > Libc4. Currently we have almost 100% compatibility back to libc 2.2.2. The
    > dated libc before that doesn't work because we dropped some very very
    > early obscure versions of a few syscalls.
    >
    > Is it too much to ask that you go and look through the syscall tables of
    > old and new kernels ?

    For 2.5 I have some plans to make obsolete syscalls depend on CONFIG_COMPAT_*,
    this allows to compile big and bloated kernel for compatiblity and smaller
    kernels without that (e.g. for embedded devices). And in fact we have quite
    a loft of cruft that can go away for setups only having very modern userspace..

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.022 / U:87.976 seconds]