SubjectRe: Quota patches
On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 05:12:05PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Of course you can. Even the latest OpenLinux release (shipping 2.4.13-ac)
> > > uses a libc4/a.out based installer fo space reasons. Not to forget the
> > > old quake1 binary from some redhat 4.x CD I run from time to time :)
> >
> > OK thanks for the *substantial* answer. That was the reason I was asking about.
> > Somehow this is of course surprising me of course.
>
> So why didn't you -test- the theory before suggesting it. It btw goes beyond
> Libc4. Currently we have almost 100% compatibility back to libc 2.2.2. The
> dated libc before that doesn't work because we dropped some very very
> early obscure versions of a few syscalls.
>
> Is it too much to ask that you go and look through the syscall tables of
> old and new kernels ?

For 2.5 I have some plans to make obsolete syscalls depend on CONFIG_COMPAT_*,
this allows to compile big and bloated kernel for compatiblity and smaller
kernels without that (e.g. for embedded devices). And in fact we have quite
a loft of cruft that can go away for setups only having very modern userspace..

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.055 / U:1.592 seconds]