SubjectRe: negative dentries wasting ram

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> > Note that this will have to touch the FS anyway, since the O_CREAT thing
> > forces a call down to the FS to actually create the file.
>
> yep. the only case where it could provide some in-core "caching"
> positive effect is:
>
> unlink
> open(w/o creat)
>
> but I don't see it as a common case.

Guys, how about tracing the damn thing and checking what actually
happens? Or, at least, checking the prototypes and noticing that ->create()
takes (hashed) dentry as an argument, so if unlinked on had been freed we _must_
call ->lookup().

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans