SubjectIt hurts when I shoot myself in the foot

A Cautionary Tale for Silly People
----------------------------------

For the past year now, I've had "ping" problems.

It pauses when it runs, and always returns warnings like so:

"Warning: time of day goes back, taking countermeasures"

I looked _everywhere_ on the net trying to find the problem.

I upgraded the kernel many times.
I upgraded glibc a few times.
I upgraded iputils a few times as well.

Nothing helped.

The clock was sync'd with an atomic clock every night.

Still, I kept getting the problem.

Then while moving log files around today, I noticed that the clock 'second'
didn't move. Weird.

So I ran this:

while :
do
date "+%H:%M:%S"
done

I got interesting results:

17:05:24
17:05:24
17:05:24
17:05:33
17:05:33
17:05:25
17:05:25
17:05:33
17:05:25
17:05:25

Nice huh!

Why?

I looked inside the box and found a Pentium II 400, and a Pentium II 450.

Oddly enough they run together as a 266.

[root@hercules root]#cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 5
model name : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 265.915
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips : 530.84

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 5
model name : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 265.915
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips : 663.55

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.104 / U:23.796 seconds]