    SubjectRe: Asus a7m266d stability issues
    On Tue, 21 May 2002 16:07:24 -0400 (EDT), Nicholas L. D'Imperio <> wrote:

    >> > I'm getting kernel panics using the A7m266d smp motherboard and kernel
    >> > 2.4.18 as soon as the system is put under load.
    > I have 1800+MP processors and my PSU is 400W. Of course I also have the
    > little four prong connector plugged in as well.

    This points very strongly towards an overheating problem. The 1800+ and
    higher CPU's run very hot. Any imperfection in the cooling setup, be
    it lack of thermal paste, undersized heatsink/fan combination,
    improperly seated heatsink, and even insufficient airflow around the
    CPU's and inside the chassis, can and will cause crashes under load.

    I had this exact problem a few weeks ago with a dual Athlon 1U setup. It
    turned out that the aluminum heatsinks I had previously used for the
    1.2GHz Athlons weren't good enough for the 1900+, and also that the
    chassis fans were circulating enough air. Switching to copper heatsinks
    got rid of 95% of the crashes, and adding a chassis fan got rid of the
    remaining 5%.

    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
    than to open it and remove all doubt.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.021 / U:91.072 seconds]