SubjectRe: Asus a7m266d stability issues
On Tue, 21 May 2002 16:07:24 -0400 (EDT), Nicholas L. D'Imperio <dimperio@physics.dyndns.org> wrote:

>> > I'm getting kernel panics using the A7m266d smp motherboard and kernel
>> > 2.4.18 as soon as the system is put under load.
>
> I have 1800+MP processors and my PSU is 400W. Of course I also have the
> little four prong connector plugged in as well.

This points very strongly towards an overheating problem. The 1800+ and
higher CPU's run very hot. Any imperfection in the cooling setup, be
it lack of thermal paste, undersized heatsink/fan combination,
improperly seated heatsink, and even insufficient airflow around the
CPU's and inside the chassis, can and will cause crashes under load.

I had this exact problem a few weeks ago with a dual Athlon 1U setup. It
turned out that the aluminum heatsinks I had previously used for the
1.2GHz Athlons weren't good enough for the 1900+, and also that the
chassis fans were circulating enough air. Switching to copper heatsinks
got rid of 95% of the crashes, and adding a chassis fan got rid of the
remaining 5%.

Ion

--
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
than to open it and remove all doubt.