    SubjectRe: Linux-2.5.16

    On Sun, 19 May 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > > - freed is never incremented, callers of tlb_remove_page have to do the
    > > rss update themselves?
    > No, that's just a missed thing (for a while I thought I could use "nr" for
    > "freed", so I changed the code and forgot to add back the free'd).

    If I see it correctly, tlb_remove_page() can't be called with a swap page,
    does it make sense to use free_page_and_swap_cache()?

    > > - will a non smp version later be added again?
    > Not likely, at least not in the form it was before of having two
    > completely different paths.
    > But I was thinking of doing a one-source thing that the compiler can
    > statically optimize, with something like
    > #ifdef CONFIG_SMP
    > #define fast_case(tlb) ((tlb)->nr == ~0UL)
    > #else
    > #define fast_case(tlb) (1)
    > #endif
    > which allows us to have one set of sources for both UP and SMP, but the UP
    > case gets optimized by the compiler.

    I was thinking about this and I agree, but this is needed as well

    #define FREE_PTE_NR 1

    otherwise we waste 2KB. :)

    > Do you want to do the freed and the above and test it?

    bye, Roman

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.025 / U:334.340 seconds]