SubjectRe: AUDIT: copy_from_user is a deathtrap.

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Rusty Russell wrote:
> If read always returns the amount read (ignoring any copy_to_user
> errors), then you can repeat it by seeking backwards[1] and redoing the
> read.

> So copy_to_user can simply deliver a SIGSEGV and return "success", and
> everything will work (except sockets, pipes, etc).

I don't mind the SIGSEGV, but I refuse to make a stupid change that has
absolutely _zero_ reason for it.

The current "copy_to/from_user()" is perfectly fine. It's very simple to

if (copy_from_user(xxx))
return -EFAULT;
and it is not AT ALL simpler to do

ret = copy_from_user(xxx);
if (ret)
return ret;
which is apparently your suggestion.

So a lot of people didn't get it? Arnaldo seems to have fixed a lot of
them already, and maybe you who apparently care can add _documentation_,
but the fact is that there is no reason to make a less powerful interface.