    SubjectRE: InfiniBand BOF @ LSM - topics of interest

    > > On 2002-05-14T00:42:07,
    > > Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> said:
    > >
    > > > Kernel mode RPC over infiniband - relevant to mosix type
    > stuff, to McVoy
    > > > scalable cluster type stuff and also to things like file
    > system offload
    > >
    > > For that, a generic comm interface would be a good thing to
    > have first.
    >
    > It has to be fast, nonblocking and kernel callable. Cluster
    > people count
    > individual microseconds so its base layers must be extremely efficient
    > even if there are "easy use" layers above. The obvious "easy
    > use" layer being
    > IP over infiniband.

    I like to see user application such as VNC, SAMBA build directly
    on top of IB API. I have couple of IB cards that can
    send 10k 32KBytes message (320MB of data) every ~1 second over
    1x link with only <7% CPU usage (single CPU xeon 700MHz).
    I was very impressed.

    Go thru the socket layer API would just slow thing down.

    With IB bandwidth faster than standard 32/33MHZ PCI, one might
    run DOOM over VNC over IB on remote computer faster
    than a normal PC running DOOM locally....

    One might create a OS that miror the complete process state
    info (replicate all the modified page) everytime that
    process is schedule out.