    SubjectRe: Tcp/ip offload card driver
    And how about when an SMP system isn't enough? Should I have to
    re-engineer my network storage architecture when hardware exists that'll
    increase throughput if a simple device driver gets written? Don't forget
    that with 64 bit PCI that the limit of the bus has been raised, and with
    impending technologies like Infiniband and Hypertransport that limit
    will be raised again. At that point devoting main processor resources to
    something better handled by specialty hardware really stops making
    sense, if that specialty hardware is low-cost (oughta be) and effective
    (still debatable).

    Nicholas Harring
    Hostway Corporation

    Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Pedro M. Rodrigues wrote:
    >
    >> Actually there is. Think iSCSI. Have a look at this article at
    >> LinuxJournal - http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4896 .
    >>

    > Ug... why bother? Just buy an SMP system at that point...
    >

    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.038 / U:90.732 seconds]