    SubjectRe: Tcp/ip offload card driver
    One would expect that hyper-transport would make using the cpu more
    attractive rather than less since it eleminates many of the shared
    resources that are currently bottlenecks in smp machines.

    joelja

    On Fri, 10 May
    2002, Nicholas Harring wrote:

    > And how about when an SMP system isn't enough? Should I have to
    > re-engineer my network storage architecture when hardware exists that'll
    > increase throughput if a simple device driver gets written? Don't forget
    > that with 64 bit PCI that the limit of the bus has been raised, and with
    > impending technologies like Infiniband and Hypertransport that limit
    > will be raised again. At that point devoting main processor resources to
    > something better handled by specialty hardware really stops making
    > sense, if that specialty hardware is low-cost (oughta be) and effective
    > (still debatable).
    >
    > Nicholas Harring
    > Hostway Corporation
    >

    > Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > > Pedro M. Rodrigues wrote:
    > >
    > >> Actually there is. Think iSCSI. Have a look at this article at
    > >> LinuxJournal - http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4896 .
    > >>

    > > Ug... why bother? Just buy an SMP system at that point...
    > >

    > > -
    >

    > -

    Joel Jaeggli Academic User Services joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
    -- PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E --
    resort of the scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.024 / U:83.880 seconds]