    SubjectRe: PROMBLEM: CD burning at 16x uses excessive CPU, although DMA is enabled
    On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Anssi Saari wrote:

    > Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 11:32:43 +0300
    > From: Anssi Saari <>
    > To: Mark Mielke <>
    > Subject: Re: PROMBLEM: CD burning at 16x uses excessive CPU,
    > although DMA is enabled
    > On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 05:45:29PM -0400, Mark Mielke wrote:
    > > The question is, how is CD burning of raw data different from
    > > CD burning of ISO images, in respect to Linux drivers for the
    > > hardware
    > As far as I know, when burning an ISO image, the image has 2048 byte
    > sectors to which the CD writer adds error correction data so that the
    > individual sector becomes 2352 bytes. A raw data image includes 2352 byte
    > sectors. The obvious difference would be a higher data rate (2352/2048
    > or 1.15x more) from computer to writer.
    I have seen something similar when reading CD-Rs (with ISO image burnt);
    After I burn a CD I run readcd -c2scan to see if I get any C2 errors;
    I am using ASUS 50x CD drive, usually setting the speed to 45x before the
    operation (my TEAC CD-RW drive always run at 4x when doing readcd
    -c2scan, which is too slow for my patience).

    The interesting thing is that while reading ISO image with dd the system
    works fine, readcd -c2scan makes it often very unresponsible (just
    switching between virtual desktops in KDE may take up to several seconds).

    The system is Pentium III running at 720 MHz, ABIT RAID-133 motherboard,
    hard disk connected to HPT-370A, CD and CD-RW drived on separate channels,
    kernel 2.2.19 + IDE patches, 768 MB RAM.

    I am wondering if you could possibly compare the system behaviour with
    Linux and FreeBSD when using readcd -c2scan (assuming readcd -c2scan
    works with your drives at some reasonable speeds).

    Best regards,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.021 / U:47.824 seconds]