SubjectRe: [patch] Re: 2.4.19-pre6 dead Makefile entries
On 7 Apr 2002, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:

> >> fs/nls/Makefile nls_cp1252.o
>
> It does seem as though this one would be useful to a significant
> number of people. Is there some reason 125[2-46-8] are not included
> where the rest are?

Perhaps they aren't used in a form that makes any linux fs see them.

cp1252 is not the codepage used by a windows smb server so you wouldn't
need it for smbfs (same for vfat, ncpfs?), it would return data in the
corresponding dos codepage (cp850). NTFS is unicode. cd/dvd formats are
... (?)

Maybe I'm missing something.

> uniset to output the necessary data. In fact, it seems like it would
> be better to include the unicode table files in the kernel tree and
> use a utility to generate the nls...c files as needed, yes?)

I think so. A tool to build them would be nice, cp1252 or not. I did some
editing before on them and the editor was perl (ok, so I suck at using awk
and sed ...).

Some format that allows different implementations to be used. All the
iso* pages could share one implementation file but let the more advanced
have different. That could of course be done with a simple "#include".

/Urban

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.044 / U:0.248 seconds]